The Surroundings
Farm Holidays Casalgismondo in addition to the pleasure of spending a wonderful holiday in harmony with nature also gives you the opportunity to discover the many historical and natural beauties of the province of Enna and the neighborhood.
Veduta della cittą The city of Piazza Armerina rises to almost 700 meters above sea level on the end of three hills Erei and is one of the major tourist centers of Sicily thanks to the presence of one of the most beautiful Roman villas prevenutaci, the Villa Romana del Casale.
In addition to The Villa Romana del Casale the city has other interesting buildings like the cathedral, dating from the seventeenth century, the churches of San Rocco and San Giovanni Evangelista, the city palace built around 1700, the building features Trigona from Renaissance and Baroque, and just outside city, the ancient Priory of St. Andrew, founded by a nephew of Ruggero I in 1906.
Other interesting places are the Commandery of the Knights of Malta dating from the twelfth century was the seat of the Knights of Malta, the Garibaldi Theatre, the Church of San Pietro Garibaldi and the Garibaldi Garden.
Villa del Casale
The Villa Romana del Casale was constructed between the late second century and the beginning of the fourth century AD, under a system of large estates belonging to powerful Roman families, who went out hunting or on vacation.
Some scholars assume that the villa had belonged to a high-ranking personalities of the hierarchy of the Roman Empire (a consul), while others argue that the villa belonged to the Emperor M. Valerius Maximus, said Victor Herculeos. The first excavations at the scientific level, promoted by the town of Piazza Armerina, were executed in 1881. The excavations were resumed in 1935 until 1939, and finally, with the intervention of the Sicilian Region in 50 years, was brought fully to light the entire complex, thanks to the work of the archaeologist Vinicio Gentili.
Without a doubt the most striking thing of visitors are the magnificent floor mosaics that were created by different groups of North African workers and that have a richness and variety that will not be equal in the world.
Veduta esterna
Sala delle 10 ragazze
Aidone
Piazza Cordova The city of Aidone is situated on an internal hilly area, located 800 meters above sea level. The name derives from the greek meaning Aidonia Nightingale for the passerine strong presence in the place. The first settlement dates from the twelfth century when a castle was built on an old Arab house near the priory of Santa Maria La Cava. The village knew the Norman rule, and in 1200 went to Lord Manfredi Chiaramonte in 1373 was owned by the noble Bartholomew Bartholomew Perone Gioieni then belonged to the family and finally red until the abolition of feudal rights.
The most important monuments are the Church of St. Maria La Cava 1134 enclosing an apse of 1300, the Church of St. Anthony of splendid Romanesque architecture, the Church of St. Anne of the fifteenth century and the matrix of the seventeenth century dedicated to St. Lorenzo. Also important is the Town Hall built in the eighteenth century.
Il teatro Not far from Piazza Armerina, in contrada of Serra Orlando near the river Gornalunga, once called Albos, are the remains of the Sicilian-Greek city of Morgantina.
Flow in part to the light around the fifties, thanks to the excavations conducted by the U.S. Erik Sjoqvist and Richard Stillwell Morgantina site presents important evidence of the splendor that the city experienced in the past, among which are the remains of the theater where they still hold events and shows and the luxurious homes of the Hellenistic period private area of the city. Morgantina offers the visitor a picture of over a thousand years of history, the city was founded in prehistoric times until its decline, which occurred in the Imperial Roman.
Il Duomo The city of Catania is approximately an hour's drive from the Farm Holidays.
Catania has a very ancient origin in fact was founded by Chalcis of Naxos, who settled on the slopes of Etna in 729 BC The first settlements were born in correspondence of the Benedictine monastery where he developed the Acropolis until 476 BC, when it was conquered by the tyrant Hiero of Syracuse, who, after having confined its inhabitants in Lentini, imposed the name "Etna". After a few years, in 461 BC, was recaptured and rebuilt restoring the old name of "Catania or Catina", which means according to Plutarch "grater" and indicates the nature of the volcanic terrain on which the city stands. After another eight suffered destruction, mostly by eruptions and earthquakes in the Roman Catania lived moments of great splendor, thanks to the construction of the theater and the baths, the forum and the circus, the gymnasium and the amphitheater, and was included among the twenty most important cities of the Mediterranean world. In 1239 Frederick II of Svevia built the Castello Ursino, which still exists today and always under his reign Catania had its first coat of arms, depicting the mythical elephant symbol of the city today. In the second half dell'600 the city was hit by two severe catatrofi it was overrun by lava in the first 'eruption in 1669 and then was devastated by the earthquake of 1693 which caused the death of most of the inhabitants.Piazza Universitą The reconstruction, based on the new plan of Lanza, Duke of Camastra, with the help of architects Vaccarini, Battaglia and Palazzotto, was built quickly and gave the city the urban aspect that still retains its historical part.
further destruction in the knee that put the city in 1818 had a major earthquake that fortunately did not cause casualties, and in 1943 for the war of the Second World War, which severely damaged the city.
Post-war years, Catania has experienced growth in all sectors of the economy, from agriculture to industry and crafts market.
The most important monuments and places of the city of interest are:
Cathedral, the Ursino Castle, Teatro Bellini, Bellini, Biscari Palace, Via Crociferi Benedictine Monastery, Town Hall, the Village Church of St. Agatha.